STATE – DAY 6
PRAISE & THANKSGIVING
[ God-pleasing Sacrifices ] Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. Hebrews 13:15
We’ve been interceding into difficult and heart-wrenching issues. Add to it the difficulties you may be experiencing in your own lives. As disciples of Christ we must know how to fight the good fight of faith in order to stand firm and persevere. The Apostle Paul tells us the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses [2 Corinthians 10:3-5].
Two of these weapons of warfare are praise and thanksgiving. In 1Thessalonians 5:18 Paul tells us, “in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” Praising God and giving thanks, regardless of circumstances, is a disarming force that rattles the demons; a declaration of faith that commands the enemy to retreat. It is also good for our hearts and minds as it can shift our point of reference outward and upward to God rather than inward and downward to us.
Spend today praising God and thanking Him. Thank Jesus. Thank the Holy Spirit. Try to be disciplined throughout the day to reorient your mind. Worship God as much as you can. We’ve prayed daily for two weeks. It’s time to use other weapons and also fill up our spiritual tanks by refreshing our hearts and minds.
Pray the listed items and any other ways you can praise and give thanks. Try using Philippians 4:8 (below) as a guide.
- Thank God for the eternal victory we have through Jesus Christ. Our worldly existence is like a drop in the ocean compared to eternal joy and favor we have through Christ.
- Praise God for his character of righteousness, grace, mercy and unconditional love.
- Think about something you appreciate about Colorado (or your state) and give thanks. Then pray a blessing over Colorado in the name of Jesus.
Pray for yourself:
- Ask God to help you develop an ongoing attitude of praise and thanksgiving.
- Acknowledge to God any weaknesses in this area and confess any sin that may be in your way.
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Philippians 4:8