STATE – DAY 5
Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S., and Colorado ranks #7 out of the 50 states for death by suicide. This is something we need to pray about – against the spirit of suicide and for the people who feel hopeless and lost.
Several other statistics that will help us focus our prayers are:
- Suicide was the third leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 10 and 14, and the second leading cause of death among individuals between the ages of 15 and 34. (2016)
- There were more than twice as many suicides in the United States as there were homicides. (2016)
- Men die by suicide 3.57x more often than women. (2016)
- White males accounted for 7 of 10 suicides. (2016)
- The rate of suicide is highest in middle age — white men in particular. (2016)
Statistics: National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, national statistics are complied from the CDC, 2016, Colorado statistics from Colorado Health Institute, February, 2017
Pray the listed items. Pray specifically for anyone you know that is in deep despair.
- Pray for all people suffering from hopelessness, depression, loneliness, and despair for an intervention of God’s mighty love.
- Pray that God bring people close to them and show them love, and that they matter.
- Pray for a revival of meaningful personal relationships and real connection, particularly for men.
- In the name of Jesus, rebuke the spirit of suicide prowling across our state, and speak life over all these suffering people.
Pray for yourself:
- Pray to be alert and observant to those around you that may be suffering with serious mental or emotional despair so you might lead them to help.
- Ask for guidance for expert resources to help these suffering people.
…and provide for those who grieve in Zion — to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor. Isaiah 61:3 [Isaiah 61:1-3]